The Ultimate Home Coffee Roaster Machine Buying Guide
If you’re looking for a perfect cup of coffee – and I don’t mean something like that $7 latte you can get on any street corner, either, but the kind of coffee that changes the way you look at this beverage forever after the first sip – you’re going to need to start off with perfect coffee beans.
And we don’t just mean expensive roasted beans you can buy at any market (though that’ll be A LOT better than buying the pre-ground stuff, that’s for sure).
No, we mean sourcing your own beans – raw, still green coffee beans – that you’ll take the time to slow roast and then grind yourself to perfection. Sure, it’ll take a little bit of extra work with this approach to get your morning fix, but at the end of the day the coffee you’ll be drinking will change your life forever.
For now though, let’s break down the best coffee roaster machine options money can buy today!
Best Home Coffee Roaster under $200
Tuning the SR500 to roast your coffee just the way you like it has never been easier
#1. FreshRoast SR500 Automatic Coffee Bean Roaster
- Default timer of 6 minutes gives you perfectly medium roasted beans every single time
- Power efficient system guarantees you never see high energy bills
- Effortless to clean system requires no extra maintenance
- You’ll have to tinker with the timer outside of defaults to hit your perfect roastiness level
- Not exactly the smallest (or the cheapest) coffee bean roaster on the market today
- Capacity can be a bit on the small side of things
If you’re serious about roasting your own coffee beans – and want as close to a headache and hassle free experience as humanly possible – you’re going to want to take a VERY close look at this option.
Designed to not only roast your beans to perfection with no real effort outside of flipping some switches and choosing a time to roast, you’ll have fresh cooked beans ready to be ground up and used in coffee in minutes.
Best Coffee Roaster under $500
Makes home coffee roasting simple – especially for beginners
- Counter-top coffee bean roaster isn’t going to eat up a lot of your precious kitchen real estate
- Smoke suppression technology gives you the chance to use this roaster indoors with no headache or hangover smoke residue
- Built in thermostat controller guarantees that you’re never overcooking or roasting your beans
- Front loading rather than top loading coffee roaster can be finicky to use – especially when beans are hot
- The whole unit takes a while to come down from its roasting temperature
- When used indoors you’re going to feel the temperature rise in the room (sometimes dramatically)
A quality coffee bean roaster machine that looks a lot more like a microwave or toaster oven than anything else, you won’t ever have to worry about keeping this unit out on your kitchen counters.
Designed to take up as little space as possible – without hindering the utility – this is a slightly more expensive machine, but the thermostatic temperature controller gives you the chance to roast beans to your desired level with more precision than anything else out there.
Best Home Coffee Roaster under $1000
Arguably the top home coffee roaster on the market
#3. Gene Cafe CBR-101 Home Coffee Roaster – Red
- This might be as close to commercial coffee bean roasting machine as you’re going to get at home
- Full view roasting chamber lets you verify that your beans are coming out the way you like them while they roast
- Off axis rotation roasting chamber makes sure every square inch of your beans are roasted to perfection
- You’re going to have to pay a premium to enjoy the premium results this machine produces
- Only about 250g of green coffee beans can be roasted at a time (though it only takes 15 minutes to get the job done)
- Works with standard power indoors, but should be used outdoors due to the heat it produces
There are a lot of really, really impressive coffee roasting machines available on the market today that promise to offer commercial coffee house capabilities, but none of them are able to come close to what this machine is able to do.
Everything about this product – from the build quality, to the finish, to the energy efficiency it offers – is top notch across the board. This is a “buy it for life” kind of product. You might spend more upfront, but you’ll be using this machine for years and years.
Best Outdoor Grill Coffee Roaster
Perfect for outdoor vacations and camping trips
#4. Wabash Valley Farms Whirley-Pop Stovetop Popcorn Popper
- Likely the least expensive coffee bean roaster you’re going to find on the market today
- Does double duty – it can roast beans to perfection and make a wonderful pot of popcorn, too
- Effortless to clean, maintain, and keep working for years and years
- Comes with a 25 year warranty
- A manual cooker, you’ll have to do all the heavy lifting (literally) when it comes to roasting your beans
- Not exactly set it and forget it by any stretch of the imagination
- Really only works will when you’re roasting coffee beans outdoor on a grill or open flame
This is a simple and straightforward coffee bean roaster for sure, and you won’t have any trouble figuring out how it works – that’s for sure!
Made out of high quality aluminum this product has been designed and built to last (and last), and you shouldn’t be too surprised to find yourself handing this down to future generations.
You will need to tend the roaster (and the fire, or grill) to keep things chugging along smoothly, but for the most part you shouldn’t have any difficulty roasting your beans perfectly on this outdoor setup.
Why roast your own coffee at home?
Those that have taken the time to get their hands on a quality roasting machine (and sourced top quality beans to use in it) swear they won’t go back to the “regular muck” any longer – and who could blame them?
With this approach the coffee you’ll be drinking will be:
- Flooded with the richest and almost oiliest flavors you’ve ever tasted
- Topped off with undertones and subtleties that commercial roasting techniques blow out completely
- Fresher than anything you’ve ever drank before…
…and on top of all that, you’ll be in complete control over the roasting process to fine tune your beans to you desires!
It doesn’t get any better than that!
Of course, you’ll need to be sure you buy the best home coffee roaster. There’s a world of difference between coffee makers as far as quality and ease of use is concerned, and you don’t want to end up saddled with a piece of tech you hate.
To help you find the best coffee roasting machine out there we’ve put together this quick guide – and highlighted a couple of top options you’ll want to really look into below as well.
But before we dive into the options we think make up some of the best coffee roaster machines money can buy, it’s important that you look for the following key criteria in ANY roaster you spend money on moving forward:
- You’ll need a roaster that you can use indoors or outdoors (or both, depending on your needs) without any safety issues
- You’ll need a roaster that suits the volume of beans you’re looking to roast (you’ll want to fire up at least a pound of raw beans at a time to speed things up)
- You’ll need a roaster that is quiet, efficient, and anything but power hungry
- You’ll need a roaster that fits your price point perfectly
Cover all of those bases and you’ll have no trouble finding a roaster machine that gives you total control over your coffee, gives you the chance to enjoy the addictive taste of fresh roasted beans at home, and saves you a mountain of money along the way.
It doesn’t get much better than that!